Wednesday 8 August 2012

Lime and ginger cake

I bought a large number of limes for my husband's birthday party, hoping for good weather and cocktail making. Unfortunately, the weather inspired tea-drinking instead, so I have a lot of limes to use up. I searched around online for a cake recipe, and found this one. I have adapted it a bit, so my new recipe is below:

Ingredients

200g soya margarine
175g caster sugar
Zest of 3 limes and juice of 2
3 eggs
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp ground ginger
50g desiccated coconut

for the drizzle:
3 tbsp granulated sugar
3 tbsp ginger syrup
juice of 1 lime

Method

Cream the margarine and sugar, then add the grated lime.
In a bowl, mix the flour, ginger, coconut and baking powder.
Alternately add the eggs and tablespoons of the dry ingredients, mixing after adding each.
Add the remaining dry ingredients and the juice of 2 limes, then mix well.
Tip into a lined 2lb loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes at 180c.
Leave to cool for 15 minutes in the tin, then make lots of holes in the top of the cake with a skewer.
Slowly pour the mixed drizzle ingredients over the cake, allowing it to soak in.

The original cake had stem ginger in the cake and on the top. I only used the syrup left over from a batch of biscuits I made at the weekend. I think the flavour of the cake would definitely be improved with the extra ginger, but it was still delicious without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment