Tuesday 24 April 2012

Dairy-free choc chip cookies

I love those big, chewy chocolate chip cookies, but  I can hardly stuff my face with something while my dairy-allergic 5 year old looks on with her mouth watering, can I? I looked into it and googled recipes which I tried out with some adaptations. I eventually created the following recipe, which is practically indistinguishable from the dairy-laden version. I just made some, so I thought I would share the recipe:

Ingredients


300g plain flour
Slightly heaped 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Good pinch of salt
170g Dairy free soya spread
220g dark brown soft sugar
80g white caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
330g  dairy-free choc chips (I use a mix of dark and "milk" choc chips)

Method

Cream together the sugars and soya spread.
Beat together the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and add to the sugar mix.
Add the flour, bicarb and salt and stir until well mixed.
Ready to go in the oven (half of the total number)
Finally add the choc chips and stir in.
Dollop blobs of mix onto baking trays covered with baking parchment, you need to space them out pretty well as they spread loads while they cook.
Cook for about 20 minutes in the oven at 170c.

Leave them to cool for a bit on the trays before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely, they will be very soft when they first come out of the oven but firm up as they cool. I defy you to leave them to fully cool before you try one. Mmmmmm.
Just out of the oven

You can swap the soya spread back for butter and the choc chips back for dairy ones if you don't need them to be dairy free.

One last thing, I read somewhere that you can freeze egg yolks for use later on. When I made the meringues the other day I did just that, unfortunately the one I tried to defrost to use today was a lumpy sludge and not useable, so maybe I did it wrong...
One happy little girl with her cookie



No comments:

Post a Comment