Saturday 5 May 2012

Saturday morning treat

When I was little, my dad used to make us American pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast on a Sunday. My sister and I have always adored pancakes, so there was no reason to believe my girls would be any different. Of course, the big problem is that pancake mixes are made with milk and buttermilk in them, so I had to make them from scratch. I used to buy a free-from mix but as they were also wheat and egg free they were no comparison to the ones we used to eat.

I dug out my Domestic Goddess book and there was a pancake recipe in it, so I adapted it to make it dairy free. I have been making these pancakes for a few years now, and they are always great:

Ingredients
115g plain flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp caster sugar
15g soya margarine
1 egg
150ml sweetened soya milk

Method

Melt the soya margarine.
Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl, add the egg and soya milk and whisk by hand.
Finally mix in the melted soya margarine but don't whisk any more than you need to to make a reasonably smooth batter.

Heat a frying pan with a little oil over a moderate heat, I add the mix in batches of 3 small pancakes and leave to cook for a couple of minutes until they are starting to bubble.
Use a spatula to turn them and cook on the other side until they are browned (a little less time than the first side).
Repeat the batches of 3 until you have made 12 pancakes. This is sufficient for me and the 2 children, but for more people you really need to double the mix.

Today, as an extra special treat we had crispy bacon with our pancakes. Heaven:

No comments:

Post a Comment