Monday 28 May 2012

Stuff to do with kids

I was collecting books for the book stall at our school fair recently, and in one of the boxes I found a very tatty looking box with a couple of dozen little coloured leaflets inside. It couldn't go in the sale, but I didn't want to throw it away either, so I saved it to investigate at a later date.

I looked through the leaflets yesterday morning and discovered exactly what they were. A set of little projects to do with kids - some making, some educational and some puzzles. We picked a making one and tried it out. All you do is thread 2 disposable bowls onto string and hook them onto each end of a coat hanger to make scales. You can then see if things weigh more or less than each other.

The kids got their marbles out and before long, Charlotte was making guesses as to how many of different sizes would balance the scales. She didn't realise it, but she was doing maths and enjoying it too. Brilliant. Next I want to try the one where you make a sugar syrup and dangle a knotted thread in it and sugar crystals grow on the knots - it's titled "Grow your own candy". Who's a big geek? Me, and I don't care who knows it!

No comments:

Post a Comment